What is De Quervains Tenosynovitis
This is a condition that affects the muscles that move the thumb causing pain and stiffness around the base of the thumb. The exact cause of this condition is not known but it will hurt every time you turn your wrist, grasp anything or make a fist. The tendons that are commonly affected are the extensor pollicis brevis and the abductor pollicis longus.
Common activities that can cause this condition:
Common Signs & Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of this condition:
- Pain around the base of the thumb when gripping
- Swelling around the base of the thumb
What you should do if you suffer from this condition:
- Consult with your GP
- Consult with a chartered physiotherapist
- Use ice or a reusable cold pack to reduce pain and swelling (the recommended time is 10 minutes on with 1 hour off). Never apply ice directly to the skin.
- Try wearing a support to stop you from moving your thumb and wrist too much.
View our range of Wrist Supports
* Disclaimer *
The content on this website is provided for general information and reference purposes only and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. All exercises and information featured on this web site should only be reviewed/practised under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional. Products suggestions linked to injuries may be provided on the site but you must always refer to the product page for full product details and always consult a physician before use as the indications outlined may not always be relevant to your particular injury/condition.