What is Shoulder Bursitis?
There are several bursas throughout the body and there is a very large one in the shoulder called the subacromial bursa. If this becomes damaged or inflamed this will lead to significant shoulder pain mostly around the top and outside aspect of the shoulder. Lifting your arm up and sleeping on your shoulder will be painful to do and these symptoms can last several weeks unless you seek advice from your GP or physiotherapist.
Common sports that can cause this injury:
Common Signs & Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of this injury:
- Pain around the front and side of the shoulder
- Night pain due to the inflammatory process
- Pain when lying on your shoulder
What should be done following this injury:
- Consult your GP or chartered physiotherapist
- Rest and ice the shoulder on a regular basis.
- Use ice or a reusable cold pack to reduce pain and swelling (the recommended time is 10 minutes on with 1 hour off). Never apply ice directly to the skin.
- Use a shoulder support to help rest the shoulder.
View our range of Arm Supports
* Disclaimer *
The content on this website is provided for general information and reference purposes only and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. All exercises and information featured on this web site should only be reviewed/practised under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional. Products suggestions linked to injuries may be provided on the site but you must always refer to the product page for full product details and always consult a physician before use as the indications outlined may not always be relevant to your particular injury/condition.